Apr 26, 2015

My History with the OC Half Marathon

I will be running half marathon #21 next week! I have never actually "raced" this half and it always seems to be that way. When I ran the OC Half Marathon back in 2012, it was a comeback race for me after a hamstring injury so I ran it very cautiously and finished right under 2 hours.

In 2013, I speed walked/ran the half marathon with my friend Caroline who was injured at the time. Speed walking is no easy task let me tell you. I don't think I have ever been so sore in all of my life after a race. The weather was perfect that day and I am glad I made the decision to stick with her because for me running isn't always about a personal PR or goal. 

I did not run the OC Half Marathon in 2014 but I will be back to run it again this year. In 2015, I find myself in a similar situation once again. I have been having issues with hip bursitis and a knee cyst so it is kind of hit and miss. My hip seems to stay happy as long as I do my exercises and keep the pace easy on longer runs. It really gets me down sometimes because I am not sure if this is going to be something that I will just have to deal with long term or if it will go away. Maybe I am just getting old but as long as I can run I am grateful. It is tough at times but I know that I have to stay positive and optimistic.

Keeping a 9:00 pace or under on longer runs seems to be the key to keeping my body parts in check but it gets tough sometimes because I feel like I have the energy to run faster. It is not worth the consequences for the days to come so I have to run smart. I would love to run this race and give it my all but I don't think I can do that right now. Being out on the race course gives me a boost of energy and adrenaline that I don't get on my training runs. I can't lie. I know I will be tempted. My last long run went pretty well. The weather was perfect and my mental game was where it needed to be. The last five miles of my run were the best and my confidence level was lifted enough for me to feel like I can run my 21st half marathon.

Pace has not been my reason to run lately. I have kind of putting that on the back burner for now and I am just feeling grateful that I can run. You have to keep things in perspective during these times. If you have ever been injured, you know what it is like to not be able to run at all, right? I don't have a race plan for Sunday. I think that would just be too overwhelming for me right now. What I can tell you is that I will finish the race and I will run with my heart and be thankful that to be out there. I am really excited about my second Beach Cities Challenge medal that I will earn on top of the medal for just running the half marathon! Race bling always gets me excited!

Who else is running the OC Half/Full? 

Beach Cities Challenge?

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I know you will do great whether you race it or not. I will be sending well wishes your way that your hip and knee won't give you issue.

    I'm still seriously eyeballing the Canyon City Revel race in November. It has great reviews and looks like a great race. I'm trying to recruit some of my family. Hopefully it's still on your race calendar for the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Race bling always gets me excited, too! :) I think you're smart for not having a race plan for Sunday -- just wing it and I know by simply running with your heart and being thankful that to be out there will result in a FANTASTIC experience. xo

    ReplyDelete